Translation of Documents

Immigration MemosFebruary 11, 2022

Translation of Documents


All documents submitted to the USCIS must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation. This applies to birth and marriage certificates as well as all other documents supporting your application. If your certificate(s) and/or other documents require translation, please ask someone fluent in English and the other language to help you. This person does not need to be a certified translator.

On a plain piece of white paper, type an English translation of the document. Although the translated document does not need to be formatted identically, it is helpful to place the translated text, when possible, in generally the same location on the page. Once you have finished the English version insert the below “Certification by Translator” language at the bottom of the page and make the appropriate updates as indicated by the brackets [ ] (it is advisable to ensure this certification appears on the same page as the translated text.):

Certification by Translator

I, [Insert name of translator here], certify that I am fluent in the English and [Insert name of foreign language here] languages, and that the above document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled: [Insert the name of the document here].



[Insert translator name here]

[Insert translator address here]

** This memo is provided for informational and discussion purposes only. It does not act as a substitute for direct legal contact on an individual basis **